Electrical connection technique to link a conductor to a device with screw terminals or tabs.
Crimping involves four elements :
- A device with screw terminals or tabs
- A crimp terminal
- A crimping tool, either manual or mechanized (pneumatic or hydraulic)
- A multi-strand wire
The crimp terminal and wire are joined by crimping. The two components are subjected to compression, which will provide a lasting bond between the clamp and the wire.
There are several types of crimp terminals:
Insulated terminals (red, bleu, yellow)
- Open-barrel terminals
- Rolled brazed terminals
- Tubular terminals
- Cable ends, etc.
Crimping verification :
This involves several steps or options:
- Visual compliance verification (checking for a deformed terminal)
- Verification of resistance to tearing (destructive test)
- Dimensional verification (crimp measurements in height and width)
- Compaction verification (microscopic analysis of cross-section of the crimp)
- Automatic inspection on the crimping press (during production)
- Calibration verification (validating the capabilities of the machine/tooling)